Re: Calculating the drain I - SSTC

Hi Sue,

Theoretically, the switching current would be a square wave, but it is
probably more of a flat top sine wave.  No matter, we'll assume it is a
300Vp-p sine wave.  The primary should be a pretty good filter anyway so
the 3rd, 5th... harmonics go away.

Reactance can be calculated with just like resistance.

R == ZL == L x 2 x pi x Fo = 18.9e-6 x 2 x 3.14159 x 221300 == 26.28 ohms

The voltage is like 300 / 2 / SQRT(2) = 106Vrms sine wave...

So....  106Vrms / 26.28 ohms reactive gives about 4 amps.  Not too bad at
all, but it is RF so the skin depth in copper is only:

SD = 2.602 / SQRT(F) = 0.00553 inches.

I would just use 10 gauge house wire like everyone else does for what I
guess must be some kind of tube or CW coil  ;-))

Cheers,

         Terry