Re: new single 833A VTTC

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 12/25/03 11:03:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>The perception of red plates is misleading. When a metal plate glows the
>power is not at max levels, When a grey graphite plate starts to glow you
>are at about twice the  rated power level. I have run graphite plate tubes
>way beyond rated levels with special oil cooling to prevent the glass from
>melting well beyond the distruction point of metal plate tubes. So the rule
>of leting 833a metal plate tubes glow is correct because when a graphite
>plate reaches the glow point you are well beyond melt dowm power.
>    Robert   H

Robert,

I've often run my graphite plate tubes in red glowing condition.
So far it hasn't ruined them.  In time it may.  I usually just run
the coil for a minute or less.  I imagine they'd last quite a while
when used in this way.  If a tube eventually fails after a number
of years it doesn't matter to me.  It's just a hobby project, not
a commercial device.  Most coilers probably don't demand that
their coils meet commercial standards for reliability.

John