RE: Toroid capacitance reduction

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Paul -

Thank you for your reply. I agree with what you have said below regarding
charged objects. However, what happens when one of the objects is grounded
as with Tesla coils? You cannot charge the earth. I agree that the fact is
the toroid capacitance does reduce when placed on the Tesla coil. But Why?
Is it because of the charges on the toroid? Does the toroid capacitance
decrease when placed on the secondary if there are no charges?

I made some simple tests to see what would happen. I placed a toroid at
various distances from a grounded plate. As expected the toroid capacitance
increased as the toroid was placed closer to the plate. I also tried placing
the toroid on the top of two TC secondary tubes one with windings and one
without. The toroid capacitance was greater when the toroid was on the tube
with windings. Both of these tests indicate that the toroid does not
decrease when placed on the TC secondary coil. It is obvious that the
decrease is possible only when the toroid is charged.

My conclusion was that when the toroid when placed on the TC secondary the
capacitance did not change provided the TC was not energized. If the TC was
energized the toroid capacitance may be less depending on the amount of
charge on the toroid? I have not researched this further.

How would the 34pf for Peter Reid's TC be determined theoretically? ETesla6
gave me 69.007 for capacitance and 72.7 KHz for the frequency for Peter's
TC. These two parameters do not give the proper 34pf toroid capacity. Bart
and Antonio's programs also do not give the 34pf toroid capacity. The
problem is that all of these programs including the JHCTES program are
giving outputs based on toroids that are not charged. How do you make these
programs recognize the varying charges on the toroids and showing the proper
toroid capacitance reduction?

My main interest is to find an equation that would give me the reduced
toroid capacitance at the design stage like the 34pf of Peter's TC. At
present the 34pf can only be determined after the TC is built and then
tested for the operating resonant frequency. With this very important test
frequency (84.43 KHz) the 34pf can then be easily calculated. But that
doesn't help the designer at the design stage. The JHCTES Ver 4.42 on-line
computer program will only help you to find the reduced toroid capacity when
you have the proper test frequency. To my knowledge there are no computer
programs that will give the coiler the proper toroid capacity he needs at
the design stage.

John Couture