Re: new single 833A VTTC and RED plates

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

There seems to be a bit of disagreement between many on this list and among
many of the old timers i've met.
I've spoke with a number of old ham guys as well as broadcast transmitter
engineers and technicians and
the general concensus (from them) is that the 833C tubes which have graphite
plates cannot be run "red" as you would say as
they will quickly become damaged at the power levels necessary to make the
graphite plates glow.  However, they say its
normal to run the 833A tubes "glowing red" as its normal for that type of
tube and plate material.

One timer had a silly saying he learned on the job and was happy to share it
with me.

"833As red hot"
"833Cs do not."

Dan