Re: Please Explain This

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 21 Dec 2003, at 21:39, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi Malcolm,
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:
 >
 > >There may be more to offset tuning than changing primary tune to
 > >match simple capacitive loading of the output with streamer
 > >formation. In fact, there is an equivalence between changing this
 > >tuning and changing k (to keep energy transfer up with a change in
 > >
 > >Malcolm
 >
 > Higher k permitted with heavier loading?

That's the way I read it. Optimal k under spark loading is possibly
much higher than an unloaded coil. I remember reading once an account
of someone whose system was plagued by secondary flashovers but
significantly increasing the input power (I think by upping the
breakrate substantially) caused the problem to disappear as the
sparks really flew. Perhaps that someone is still on the list?

     In the research I did for my article, I noted that under steady-
state conditions the coil was (in the traditional sense) way
overcoupled prior to sparks flying. However, with heavy loading, the
transfers reduce to single one-way status, a condition one might see
as being critically coupled.

     This might be an avenue of exploration for Paul Nicholson if it
hasn't been done already.

Cheers,
Malcolm