Re: Doorknob capacitors for primary?

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

It just the physical properties and make-up of the capacitor.  The
capacitors have a relatively high effective series resistance (ESR).
Power = Current^2 * Resistance

So if you look at all the current a tesla coil tank capacitor sees:

Charge Current(t) * ESR = Power Dissipation1
Discharge Current(t) * ESR = Power Dissipation2
Total Heat Dissipation = Power Dissipation1 + Power Dissipation2

You'll see that a capacitor with a relatively high ESR will develop quite a
substantial amount of heat when looked over time.