RE: First Light but I have a Problem

Original poster: "EMMETT SECREST" <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>

I lowered the Toroid an inch but it did not help the arcing at the top of
the secondary. The Toroid is now 5" above the top winding of the 4.5" dia.
secondary.  My Toroid is 23" major dia. and is made from 4" dryer duct. I
have a 12/60 NST powering my TC. I am thinking that maybe the Toroid is to
large to accomplish breakout given my available power level. I am going to
make a 13.5" Toroid from the same material tonight and give it a try.  I
was thinking that if it has all that power in the topload but can't
breakout from the toroid that it has to go somewhere and thus I get the
arcing.  I tried changing the hieght and the coupling but had the same
results without a nail for a breakout point.  Hopefully the change in
toroid size will solve my problems. I would love to hear others opinions on
this problem.  I read on the archives that the toroid hieght should be
equal to the secondary diameter as a general rule so I will check that at
the same time.

Emmett