Re: Alternate toroid shapes

Original poster: Dave Leddon <dave-at-leddon-dot-com>

Back in the sixties I purchased a three foot diameter spun aluminum oblate
from F. B. Lee (anybody remember his contributions to the Amateur
Scientist) who claimed that this shape, which resembles a hemisphere on top
of a toroid, was the best shape for a Van de Graff generator because it
would accumulate maximum charge while minimizing break down on the
supporting column.  I often wondered if this shape would represent any sort
of improvement over the classical toroid.

Dave