Re: Breakdown voltages of toroids

Original poster: Paul Nicholson <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Antonio,

You wrote:
 > there is a distinct irregularity in the first and in the last
 > rings

You asked about this in your last post in the 'Charge distribution
on a Toroid' thread we had going.  Sorry I haven't had time to
continue that most interesting discussion - I will pick it up
later on, but for now I'll just confirm that I too obtain the same
non-physical distortion of the charge distribution at the
'poles' of the objects.   I try to mitigate this by using the
centroid of each ring for both the location of its charge, and
for collocation,  although that doesn't (in my case) completely
solve the problem.  I think it comes back to having a good enough
self potential formula for those rings which are actually small
discs.

I hope to get back onto this topic at some point soon, and also
the 'Magnifer vs. Tesla Coil' thread.

PS, perhaps 26kV/cm would be better than 30kV/cm for the high
frequency breakdown field strength?

Cheers All,
--
Paul Nicholson,