RE: Capacitor help

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I have found that with an NST, using a cap of roughly 2X the mains-resonant
value had given me the best performance, in addition to minimizing the
possibility of resonant rise with the NST.  It may have something to do
with the  greater energy that "sloshes" back into the NST inductance when
the gap doesn't reach firing voltage on a particular half-cycle.  The
higher current in the NST secondary may saturate the current limiting
shunts, permitting higher levels of power to be drawn from the NST.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Mark, All,

I just noticed the "reason" you are looking for an LTR cap was to achieve
possibly longer sparks. I almost always run a PDT which forces me into an
STR cap. From my understanding, LTR values do not give longer sparks or
anything of that nature, but are used to reduce the stress on the NST in
SRSG situations. The static gap apparently is also to benefit in this same
respect. The tradeoff is capacitance for voltage.

I sometimes get the impression coilers think using LTR gives greater spark
lengths, but again, this is not my understanding from past posts on this
subject.

Comments, anyone?

Take care,
Bart