Re: New 8 second long 550 kV Power Arc

Original poster: "RIAA/MPAA's Worst Nightmare" <mike.marcum-at-zoomtown-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 9:57 PM
Subject: Re: New 8 second long 550 kV Power Arc

 > Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
 >
 > Hi Chris,
 >

 > BTW, this arc did NOT extinguish by itself. Instead, the upstream 500 kV
 > OCB was commanded to open up the circuit, finally killing the arc. That's
 > why it seems to stop so abruptly. Fortunately, the utility had set up a
 > cameras to capture abnormal behavior... and that's exactly what they
 > caught!  :^)
 >
 > Best regards,
 >
 > -- Bert --
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:

Wonder how far it would have spread otherwise? Assuming 3.5 kVA/foot and a
50A arc, that woulda been over 7000 ft. Too bad the breaker popped. Of
course I noticed the green glow of burning copper in the switch electrodes.
I guess it might have popped anyway once it destroyed the reactor (or
something else) with such an arc and directly shorted to ground somewhere
long before a mile was reached.