my coils not up to snuff

Original poster: "Sam W." <HAZAA_69-at-hotmail-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:HAZAA_69-at-hotmail-dot-com>Sam W.
To: <mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 3:08 PM

I have a coil running on a 12/60 nst
4.5" x 30" secondary w/21 AWG magnet wire
Primary:8 turns of 10 AWG insulated wire
Spark gap is a single static with no pressurized air for quenching
mmc 25 0.33 uF caps rated at 600VAC in series to make 12500VAC 0.0133uF
choke 200 turns 21 AWG
4" flexible aluminum ducting covered in aluminum tape
2" flex aluminum ducting covered in aluminum tape
(double toroid)

im getting like 3" breakout, with only 9" going to a grounded pole. I
couldnt get any thin walled copper tubing, so i used insulated wire rated
at 15 kv. if i replace the primary and change the spark gap will i get
bigger sparks? im reading about people with similar setups getting like 3-4
ft. sparks. This was my first coil, and i did it for science fair. I was a
little dissapointed with performance. I dont want to use a rotary gap,
cause i cant get a synchronous motor, and asynchs will blow my nst. PLEASE
HELP!