New 8 second long 550 kV Power Arc

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

For all fans of Arcs and Sparks,

A friend of mine at Fermilab just sent me a 1.5 MB MPEG of a 500 kV air
break switch opening hot. One of the three phases has a problem
disconnecting, resulting in one awesome power arc that's gotta' be at least
50 feet long. It lends a new meaning to the term power arcing.

And those utility guys have all the fun... listen to the guy whooping it up
at the end of the MPEG.  :^)

See it at: http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm

Merry Christmas,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP