Re: TC Operation Question/rf grounds

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

 > ... I would like to know what relationship the RF ground ha
 >  to the operation of the TC.
    Browsing the archives will be useful on this one.
    Views Differ.
    My observations is that they help.

 >  I know it is to direct RF to ground but what I was wondering
 > was what effect it has on the operation of the coil if it is not
 > present at all.
    There is a subtlety here:
        There is ALWAYS an RF ground.   The designer/user
        controls how good it is.
     The ground is present in one of two ways, or
    a combination:
        1) stray capacity from the lower parts of the
        system to whatever i nearest to ground makes a ground.

        2) Since Highish Voltages are involved, they WILL spark over,
        if the stray capacity is too well insulated.

        This may damage things as the HV hunts its own path....

  best
     dwp