RE: Water absorbtion of Gray PVC

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than
is necessary. The process is not "long",
"overwhelming", or "elaborate".

If you choose to dry your form, it's really quite
simple. Simply stick the form in a cardboard box with
a low wattage light bulb or two and leave it for a
couple of hours, or overnight. Be sure to watch the
temperature. A variac or dimmer will help contol the
temp, but you can also leave the box partially open as
needed. If this is done indoors, in a more controlled
climate, that should help.

Adam

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H"
 > <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
 >

 > Although your concerns and comments are valid, its
 > really not necessary
 > (especially for the mere hobbyist)
 > to perform this long process of pre-treating a PVC
 > or other hydroscopic
 > forms prior to winding.

The process is not long.

 > Although your intent is good, i feel your comments
 > may actually
 > discourage some beginners by making them believe
 > they need to go through this seemingly overwhelming
 > pre-treatment
 > process.

The process is not overwhelming.

 > This is especially true considering the
 > comments come from the two most experienced tesla
 > coil firms, Resonance
 > Research Corporation and KVA Effects.  The beginner
 > may believe these firm's comments may hold more
 > water so to speak than
 > the other people on the group.
 >
 > The important points I think should be made are the
 > following:
 >
 > 1.  Yes, hydroscopic secondary forms such as PVC
 > will benefit from a
 > pretreatment process as described below especially
 > in higher power tesla coils (5kW + )
 >
 > 2.  For most small power coils, there is no need to
 > pre-treat the PVC
 > secondary.  This is based on the experience of many
 > of the members of
 > this list including myself.  I'm sure if you took a
 > poll, the number of
 > people on this last that go through the elaborate
 > process of
 > pre-treating a secondary prior to winding will be
 > greatly outweighed by
 > the "just wind it" and go people of the list!

The process is not elaborate.