Primary L C ratio (was pri outer dia ratio)

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 07:52 AM 09/12/03 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: Dave Leddon <dave-at-leddon-dot-com>
 >
 >At 11:22 AM 12/8/03 -0700, you wrote:
 >Hi Ed,
 >
 >Sounds like you're an adherent of the Richard Quick school of primary design.
 >Time to introduce some controversy.
 >
 >While Dr. R advocates:
 >
 >If you are in the range of 6-12 turns (with NST) or 3-8 turns (with pole
 >xmfr), you have a good, but not optimum capacitance.
 >
 >But Richard Quick has the opposite philosophy as quoted from the archives:
 >
 >The small five turn primary at the base of a coil does a very poor
 >job of uniformly exciting the secondary coil.

<SNIP>

 >So who's right?
 >
 >My personal experience with a 12" diameter pig fed coil supports Richard's
 >observations, but I see pictures of a lot of large coils using primaries
 >like those described by Dr. Resonance.  So, what's the consensus among
 >those of you who have built pig-powered coils?
 >
 >Dave

Hi Dave, Coilers,

My PDT powered 4 inch coil, while not big in the usual sense, uses about
seven turns of a twelve turn primary in conjuction with a 26 nF tank cap.
A fast quenching gap is a must with this setup, but I'm quite satisfied
with the coil's performance in that configuration.  I've tried it with
more turns/less capacity and I found that it works best with the fewer
turns/more capacity setup.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle