Re: Theoretical understanding

Original poster: "Robert Jones" <alwynj48-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi Tristan,

 > Original poster: tristan Matthews <thrawnda-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >

 > I would like to start by thank every one for there help so far. But there
 > are two critical things that I still don't understand.
 >
 > First of all on Richie Burnett web site, which btw was very help full, he
 > talks about notches in the primary and secondary voltages wave forms where
 > all of the energy is transferred from one to the other. In my mind it
seems
 > that as a current is induced in the secondary by the primary it would then
 > begin trying to induce a current back in the primary. So that it would be
 > losing energy at the same time that it was gaining it. There would still
be
 > a periodic nature to the transfer because the transfer rates will still be
 > dependent on the resonant frequencies. But instead of all of the energy
 > flowing from one to the other it would reach a equilibrium where the
 > current in the primary was trying to transfer energy to the secondary at
 > the same rate that the current in t! he secondary is trying to transfer it
 > back.

Thats an important observation which I don't think anybody answered. Yes
thats what would happen if there was not phase shift with the transfer.

If you look at Richie's graphs you can see that there is aproxiatly 90
degree phase shift between the primary and secondary voltages thats key to
the process and why the energy does not simply partition between the two as
it would with out the phase shift. Here is a quick expanation which if read
with Richies graphs and text my explain itl. The primary induces a voltage
in the secondary which also induces a voltage in the primary but of opposite
polarity(90 +90=180 ie inversion) to the original voltage and hence reduces
the primary voltage. The primary voltage eventualy goes to zero then
reverses. Now the secondary is acting like the primary and visa versa. Note
the change in polarity after the notch. In a sense its similar to the way
the primary and secondary oscilate but in this case its an oscilation whose
energy is alternatvly stored in the primary and secondary components. I will
leave you to work thru the components to see why its 90deg.

It does not require that the primary and secondary are tuned the the same
frequency(uncoupled) or sightly different frequenies. However for complete
transfer there is a fixed relationship between the coupling (energy
transfer) and the frequencies of the primary and secondary.  See various
posts of Antonio(I think he has a site too) and others.

Bob