Magnifier vs. Pi Network Tesla Coil - ***What are advantages***

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

I've been doing some simulations of the following two coil topologies,
and as of yet, cannot find any difference
(at least mathematically) in performance.  Perhaps someone could comment
on what advantages (if any), there are with
a classic tesla magnifier design over a simple pi-network design.

Below is a description of the two topologies I am comparing:

CLASSIC TESLA MAGNIFIER
This is the classic tesla magnifier.  A tank circuit drives a solenoid
type primary coil tightly coupled to a secondary coil.
The output of this secondary coil is then directly coupled via
transmission line to the bottom of a third resonator coil.

CLASSIC PI-NETWORK
This system has no magnetic coupling.  You have a classic tesla primary
tank circuit, and a directly coupled line from
the primary tank circuit to the bottom of a secondary resonator coil.

As I stated before, I'm trying to find out what advantages if any either
one of these have in respect to the other.  At
least in simulations, I can get equal performance in both.  However, in
practicality, there may be some things i'm
missing.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks
Dan