Re: Ratio of primary outer dia.

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 8 Dec 2003, at 8:10, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "RIAA/MPAA's Worst Nightmare"
 > <mike.marcum-at-zoomtown-dot-com>
 >
 > So a large primary inductance with smallish cap (x-ray transformer) is
 > worse than a small inductance with large cap (pole pig) assuming same
 > kva and Fres?

No, but that approach forces you to use a high inductance secondary
to maintain a high Ls/Lp ratio (for voltage gain). A high Lp/Cp ratio
is desirable to minimize primary losses but stuffing a high secondary
inductance into a smallish secondary coil increases secondary losses.
Hence, the approach is more suitable for large coils. As always in
engineering, there are tradeoffs and the law of diminishing returns
applies. Things tend to pretty much balance out in TC-land as
evidenced by the fact that one can benchmark a coil against John
Freau's sparklength vs power formula which doesn't even take physical
coil factors into consideration. It *is* a benchmark however and it
is easy to design a coil which falls well short of its ideal.

Malcolm

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list"