Re[2]: Any ideas what this is?

Original poster: Mike Poulton <mpoulton-at-mtptech-dot-com>

Mike Poulton Wrote:
 > Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

 > In a message dated 12/4/03 5:54:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
 > tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 > Original poster: "pjj" <tha3rdman-at-zoominternet-dot-net>

 > I tried looking up magnaco and the part number but to no avail. Looks
 > interesting, looks like it has a tube in it too.

 > http://www.atlanticequipment-dot-com/images/1164/P0010330.jpg
 > http://www.atlanticequipment-dot-com/images/1164/P0010328.jpg

 > Looks like a small power supply with either a vacuum tube rectifier or a
 > vacuum tube voltage regulator. Probably the former. Big cubeish thing is a
 > transformer. FWIW: Cleve, Ohio is not the same as Cleveland, Ohio.

My guess is that it converts low voltage CD (28V?) to high voltage
(who knows how high). An old inverter type device. It has tubes, a
capacitor, and a transformer -- the perfect combination of parts for
an oscillator and step-up converter. Perhaps it was a B+ supply for a
larger piece of equipment?

AFAICT, "Cleve." is Cleveland apparently -- even if there is another
town named "Cleve" (with no period after it). Googling "magnaco
industries" give only a couple hits, none useful, except that one
mentions that they are in Cleveland. Another page says Hartville, OH.
Yp.yahoo-dot-com doesn't find a Magnaco in any of those towns. I'd say
they're out of business.

Mike Poulton
MTP Technologies