Re: and oddity or a normality?

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Your toroid is probably too high and not properly shielding the top turns
of the secondary.  Many builders recommend space-winding the last few turns
gradually (each turn has a wider spacing) to avoid this problem.  I have no
idea if the idea has merit or is just another Tesla Coiling myth, but I
have used it on the 3 secondaries I've wound.

Try lowering the toroid by half its current height above the top secondary
turn to see if the problem gets better.  You will probably have to retune a
bit.

I have seen corona problems with slightly out of tune TCs, too.

Good luck,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group