Re: Floating Scopes

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

"Floating" a scope is not only acceptable, but a very common and safe
practice if done correctly.  In fact, both Tektronix and HP offer
oscilloscopes options specifically built
for this practice.  Not that the oscilloscopes are made differently, but
they are enclosed in a plexiglass type enclosure and there are insulated
extension knobs that stick out on some
of the more common adjustments such as Verticial and Time DIV so that
adjustments can be made while the oscilloscope is "floating."

We have a few of these and we mostly use them to monitor low voltage bus
voltages in a "floated" system during crowbar testing to ensure that the
noise created from a crowbar doesn't
affect these low voltage busses or other type of signals.

In my opinion, I think its safer (for the operator of course - maybe not the
equipment), to "float" an oscilloscope than to bring out the various signals
via big high voltage dividers because now
you are bringing the high voltage "out" of the cabinet and in the immediate
vicinity of the operator or technician.  But again, many don't feel
comfortable floating an expensive battery powered
oscilloscope.

Dan