Re: Cooking with the primary

Original poster: "Paul Marshall by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <klugmann-at-hotmail-dot-com>

My thoughts on this are "If a cell phone transmission may cause brain
cancer, what are these CW coils doing to us" ?

Paul S. Marshall

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Cooking with the primary
>Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:54:36 -0600
>
>Original poster: "sebastian gaeta by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net>
>
>Hi,
>
>I did a bit of accidental cooking with my 304TL coil. I used too large of
>a topload, and too large of a tank cap. The large tank cap caused me to
>use too few primary turns which causes a larger RF current to flow.
>According to Bert H. too large of a toroid also caused some large
>circulating currents to flow.This all added up to trouble, and caused the
>bottom bolt on the secondary to get so hot that it melted the solder
>connection. My wooden support burned all along where the bolt, and ground
>strap contacted it.
>
>Continuous wave coils are much better at cooking than spark gap systems by
>the way.
>
>Please be careful. When there is no secondary, and sparks to dissipate the
>energy, you are going to have lots more RF floating around, which can be
>nasty if you are wearing jewlery, and harmful to other electronic devices
>nearby. You will also get an RF burn off of practically every thing
>conductive that you touch, whether it is grounded or not. If your OFF
>switch is metal like mine was, use a plasic rod or something to flip it
>off with. If you absolutely need to touch something metal while the coil
>is running you will need to equalise your RF potential by bonding to it
>with a metal object that is already in your hand like a key or something
>before you can touch it with your bare skin. When you wish to draw your
>hand away, you will have to make contact with the key first before you
>break electrical contact with your skin, otherwise you will draw an arc
>and get an RF burn. This all sounds very bizzare, but welcome to the world
>of high powered radio!
>
>Have fun, and play safe,
>Sue
>
>Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
>Original poster: "John by way of Terry Fritz "
>
>Hello,
>I came up with an idea after looking at induction heaters on the Internet.
>I was wondering if one could remove the secondary coil from the middle of
>the primary and instead place something to be cooked. At high enough
>frequencies this should work.
>
>John

MSN Groups & Chat - Freunde finden - leicht gemacht
http://groups.msn-dot-com/people/