Re: DC Resonance Charging Advice Sought

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Dave,
Your system sounds like an excellent application for a discharge relay.

I would suggest using a 100K ohm 100 or 200 watt resistor from the HV
terminal which is automatically shorted to ground by a HV relay which is
normally closed to ground.  Wire it so that the grounding relay coil is in
parallel with the HV PS input.  The instant that the supply is shit off,
the shorting relay also is deenergized and drops to dump the high voltage
through a ballast resistor.  This would give a discharge time interval of
0.7 seconds, and 6 intervals would only be 4.2 seconds.  The resistor would
dissipate about 490 watts at the instant of relay closure, but this would
rapidly decrease and it probably would not get detectably warm.

I know that others have objections to reliance upon discharge relays, as
one can become complacent, and the single time that it fails to operate
properly will be your last.  However, if you observe a reliable meter
across your supply that goes from 7 kV to 0 when you shut it off, and you
still short out the system with a shorting stick, I think you would be
overall safer than waiting 35 minutes for a 50 meg resistor to bring the
voltage down.

Nice, mechanically reliably grounding relays may be made quite easily with
a rotary solenoid.  I have a 40 kV Candela laser cap charging supply that
uses a small rotary solenoid to lift a grounded arm off of a terminal
connected through the discharge resistor  to the HV side.  The whole thing
is inside the HV module which is filled with transformer oil When the
solenoid is de-energized, the rod falls onto the contact terminal by
gravity and discharges the supply.  Very little machining skill is required
to make one.  I can send you a photo of the unit inside my supply if you
are interested.

Dave