Re: capacitor idea

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Rodney Goolsby by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jeronimo-at-bright-dot-net>

 > Last night I was thinking and I got an idea about using multiple types
 > dielectrics in a capacitor. ( I'd like to take this moment to say, I'm an
 > amateur, I have no idea if any of this would work. Just thought it was
 > worth asking about.)
 > What if you took 2 layers of something with a very high breakdown voltage
 > (maybe some type of spray on/ paint on high voltage insulation) and placed
 > a layer something with a high dielectric constant between the 2 high
 > voltage layers?  Could this result in a very small amount of space between
 > the plates of the capacitor, and a high dielectric constant, there for a
 > high capacitance and high break down voltage?

	Unfortunately the answer is no.  The voltage across the high-dielectric
constant region would be low and the stress on the other dielectric
layers would be nearly the same.

Ed