Re: flyback transformer HV question

Original poster: "Black Moon by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <black_moons-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>>Does this indicate that my transformer has internal diode(s)? Am I hooking
>>up the bulb right? Anyone know?
>
>A 30kV diode I have here is 3.25 inches long and not cheap.  I doubt you
>have any diodes to worry about there.  If you can draw a big arc, you've
>got voltage!!!
>
>Cheers,
>
>         Terry

Terry, its quite common for flybacks to include internal diodes, while yes
they are high voltage, I think they are in a U shape or possabley coiled to
reduce there length, and there only rated like 10ma or something, and have
like 70v voltage drop
The newer ones have it built in and poted into the flyback
the older flybacks (typicaly found in b/w tv's) have a diode thats typicaly
held in by just some glue and a wedge, usally about 2~3" long
TV's all DO use hv dc!