RE: Why does running an NST on an async gap kill it?

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I killed a 15/60mA NST like this once.

The teeny wires inside of the secondary aren't
designed for the hundreds of amps the capacitor
will throw into them if the spark gap fails.
More so if you've got a resonant cap.

That's where the big power resistors help in Terry's
filter circuit. Even so, it's hard to stop a thousand
amps -at- 21Kv :) The MOVs basically overheat and cease
to protect the NST in just a few seconds.