Re: driving copper pipe

Original poster: "Daniel Hess by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhess1-at-us.ibm-dot-com>

1/2" hard copper water pipe is vastly cheaper that copper clad rebar and it
comes in standard 10' lengths; much more contact area with the earth IF you
can get it all the way into the ground.

I have a lot of clay in my area as well (North Texas) but used a simple
trick I learned on this list; I bought a brass adaptor at a local
hardware/plumbing supply which I screwed on to an 8' length of 1/2" steel
pipe, the other side of the adaptor accepts the end of a garden hose. Dug a
3' narrow hole in the ground with a sharp shooter and then let my 'water
drill' do the rest. If I'd hit a rock or other obstruction just pull up and
try a few inches over but I never did and drilled 3 holes for 3 rods this
way. The 1/2" copper pipe simply dropped into the hole. I used copper
ribbon soldered to the top of each pipe and covered 'er up. It was a piece
'o cake but a little muddy.

Daniel

  > Original poster: "Rodney Goolsby by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jeronimo-at-bright-dot-net>