RE: Help

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Only synchronous rotary (or static) gaps should be used with NST's, as
NST's are less tolerant of the occasional big bangs that occur with async
gaps.  NST's are also typically used with near-mains-resonant caps, so a
missed gap presentation may result in high peak voltages.  That's probably
the reason your NST died, though if you turned on the NST before the gap
came up to speed, that would certainly accelerate the problem.

Angle grinders typically use "universal" or AC/DC motors, and cannot be
modified for synchronous operation.

Sadly, the non-asphalt potted NST's are impossible to repair.

Gary Lau
MA, USA