Re: T&R Electric - No More...

 > supplies the size of a lunch box are common...  We just need to find the
 > cheap commodity source for them and microwaves seem to be the
 > ticket!!  Such supplies have all the "parts" already there...
 >

 > If we were really good.......  We could make a switching 14400V 5kW to
 > split 240 VAC 60 Hz switching power supply and go knocking on the doors of
 > the utilities ;-))  Technically not hard to do at all,  giant weight size
 > advantage, but it would probably cost more, unless China could make it for
 > $5 or something...  Not sure how China makes stuff so cheap,

Few layers between raw materials and finished products
very inexpensive labor
very large production volume

  (I have the
 > feeling that bubble will burst sooner or latter...)  Such a solid state
 > pole pig replacement would suddenly flood the market with "old iron" pole
 > pigs free to "anyone" that wanted to haul them away ;-)))  Of course,
then,
 > coilers may not want them anymore either!!! :D   Imagine a 8 x 8 x 12 inch
 > box with 14400V HV terminals on the sides and a 120-0-120 terminals on the
 > front, weighs 38 pounds, sells for $157 in quantity...  I know a lot of
 > Chinese switching power supply makers looking for something to do...  I'll
 > plant this bug in their ear... >:)))  Maybe they can give us a little
 > surprise in a few years!!  (Maybe months!!  They ARE fast!!)  Although
they
 > normally "copy very well", they really are quite clever!!!  Maybe we could
 > get them to go under the brand name of "Tesla" and print it in big letters
 > across the box so Tesla's name would finally be plastered all over every
 > power pole in the country :-)))

The utilities typically use a 40 year amortization schedule on installed
equipment, so the per year cost is quite low on conventional iron and copper
transformers.  Also, there are lots of 50-70 year old iron and copper
transformers out there still chugging along.  I haven't seen any switchers
with that kind of life, durability, or resistance to external insults
(lightning, overload, etc.)

Nope.. you'll see the switchers in consumer equipment, where 3 year life is
doing well..  Which is just fine for us.