Re: Three phase from single phase

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/29/03 11:35:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
> >How big are your single-phase service lines
> >  >and how big is the
> >  >transformer they're connected to.  Around here the
> >  >typical home
> >  >distribution transformer isn't much over 5 kVa.
> >
> >My personal pig doing its thing on the pole outside of
> >my house is 25 KVA. I've seen mostly 25 and 50 KVA
> >around, some 15's and some monster ones powering big
> >buildings, at 112.5 KVA. They're all labeled in big
> >letters on the gray can.
> >
> >Chris
>
>     The transformer on our pole only feeds our house; yours must serve
>more.
>
>Ed

Hi Ed, Chris, all,

I believe in my area, 10 kVA is about the smallest pole transformer
that is used for even a single residential customer, and usually it's
15 kVA. The transformer serving my home (it's a pad mounted green
box since all of the lines in my neighborhood are underground) is a
50 kVA unit but it serves at least 3 other homes, I believe.

David Rieben