Re: Magnifier conversion

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>

 > No I forgot to try this :-(

 > Since I was up at 0.46 coupling, I expected problems but the plastic
 > sheeting worked very well.  The minor arcing was just due to fast sloppy
 > application of the sheeting ;-)

High effective coupling can be obtained with an Oudin coil, with the
primary and the secondary connected in series, and wound in the same
direction. My driver can reach 0.49 with the outer end of the
flat spiral grounded and the primary capacitor and driver connected
to the point where the two coils are interconnected. This also
changes the effective value of L2. The calculations can be seen at
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/tefp.html
and are implemented in the Inca program too.

 > >Maybe consequence of no quenching?
 >
 > Possibly.  A most odd thing.  Have to look into it more.

Something weird that I noticed in my magnifier was that when I mounted
a large half sphere as terminal, detuning the system significantly,
I could not anymore draw arcs from the terminal to a grounded rod,
but only lots of corona, creating a long sheet of blue light between
the terminal and the rod.

 > I'll have to look into it more.  I think I can directly measure the
 > voltages at signal generator power to be sure is all operating as
 > expected.  also need to verify things much more.  Just didn't have much
 > time Sunday to be sure of what was going on.

The waveforms that you posted days ago were close to the correct, but
the notches could be better. A 6th-order magnifier can produce
"second-order notches", where not only the voltages and currents are
null at the notches, but some of their first derivatives too.
It's also easy to check the resonance frequencies. Measurements in
my sistem reveals that all three are withing 1.8% of the design.

Regards,

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz