"tty sync motor" SRSG

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun.COM>

I've finally built a SRSG around a mini (tty) synchronous motor, but after
putting it into my TC I'm sure its not really acting synchronously.

My TC output's longest streamers are about the same as with a static gap,
but the output varies from long and loud to short and quiet at about
5-cycles-per-second, like the motor is rotating 5-RPS slower than the
30-RPS (1800 RPM) on the motor name plate (which also says "synchronous").
Also rotating the motor to change the SG phase has no effect on the
streamers or the sound.

I've looked inside, and the rotor has 4 flats ground off of it, just like
its 'sposed to.  It's got a run capacitor connected to one winding and
120vac to the other winding, I'm pretty sure I already tried switching
which winding is used for what and the motor would not run at all when
I did this. The capacitor matches the size stamped on the motor nameplate,
and when I tried a larger one the motor would not run.

What next?

thanks,
Pete Lawrence.