Re: Marx Generator

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

If you are going for a 1 MEV output you should charge at around 100 kV per
stage x 10 stages.  You will need a 100 kV DC power source rated around 5-10
kVA to do an efficient job.

Trying to go this high with a flyback circuit and only a few mA won't work.
The leakage currents may exceed you power supply's ability to charge the cap
bank, and also, after 20-25 stages the efficiency level becomes rather low.
Leakage currents inside caps and also on connections multiply as additional
stages are added.

Another problem is that energy discharge caps should be charged rapidly
(under 60 sec.) and then discharged promptly.  Leaving them full charge
strains the dielecric.  Ideally they charge in 60 sec or less and then
discharge in less than 10 sec. after reaching full charge.

You can hit 20 - 30 kV DC with a flyback circuit and then charge a 10 stage
unit up to around 200-300 kV DC but after that too many problems will come
up.  Keep your unit to 10-15 stage maximum for reasonable efficiency.  After
that you need to be charging at a high voltage.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913