Re: Big Variacs but are they useable?

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>>I have been looking for some Big Variacs on eBay to control a 5KVA 240 V
>>piglet, but I suspect that what it not being said in these ads may make
>>these unsuitable for TC work. Knowledgeable input requested.
>>This one
>>http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4665&item=2525401964&rd=1
>>Says 220 volts 7.5 KVA. It also says 220/50 which might imply 220 V in
>>and 50 V out.

         I'd suspect its 220/50 Hz.  Offhand 50Hz s/b OK on 60 Hz,
         with milde derating.  It REAL uncommon to 'variacs' to
         also be stepdown devices.

>>The picture is just fuzzy enought for the meter scale to be

>>unreadable. Heavi-Duty Electric Corp does not show up in my web search.

>I am not sure what that is.  Best not to get odd things unless you are sure.

         Wise, in my opinion.  email to the seller might,
         or might not, clarify things...

         best
         dwp

...the net of a million lies...