Marx Generator

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Robynsaddiction-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello List,

        This does not pertain to Tesla Coils. However, it does pertain to high
voltage, and I am in need of council. I am preparing to construct a one
million volt Marx Bank, and my problem involves the charging supply that
feeds the bank. I have two hundred 12kV 5mA diodes that are used in
multiplier circuits for televisions. These will be used in the charging
supply for the bank. Unfortunately, these diodes fail quite frequently in my
current multiplier (fed by a flyback). Anyhow, I am wondering if I can just
hook the diodes up in a 2 by 2 fashion (2 parallel by two in series) without
placing any resistors or caps across the diodes in order to evenly distribute
reverse voltage. Also, can someone lead me to a design for a multiplier that
does not fail when shorted (one with a protection circuit). Also, what can be
done to prevent kickback when the bank fires. Currently, I am trying to find
a way to pot the multiplier so that it can be disassembled if a diode does
blow. This means that potting in epoxy or potting compound will not do.
Perhaps an oil bath will do? Yet, I have made multipliers submerged in oil
before, and unfortunately the oil seeps out of the wires. Well, thanks for
any pointers that any of you might have.
                                            In Friendship, Richard Harris