RE: How to determine three-phase power

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Chris,

The power coming through your neighborhood may very well be 3 phase.  But
the power company will need to install a three phase transformer.  That's
part of where the expense is.  It doesn't matter if there are others with
single phase drawing off the power grid.  That happens all the time.  It is
still 3 phase on the line (assuming you are truly looking at three phase
lines.)

Sometimes, depending on the power company, there are three lines for single
phase.  There would be two hot wires and a ground wire.  Not all power
companies are the same.

I asked the power company how much it would cost to get 3 phase service in
my area and was told around $500 for the installation to the pole.  I would
still have to provide the wiring to my house along with the proper boxes and
switches.  I would be looking at about $800 to get three phase power.  I
truly want to do it, but not yet.

Dave