Re: How to determine three-phase power

Hi Chris,

At 08:08 AM 4/27/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I want to get a three-phase feed into my house for DC
>tesla coiling and I decided to do some research. I
>looked out the window and saw 3 wires on the power
>poles that come down my street. Going down the street
>I saw that consecutive pole pigs were connected to
>different lines on th power poles. Now to make sure, I
>have to get a neighbor that's supposedly using a
>different phase of the 3-phase line and measure
>voltage from my house to their house via really long
>power cord... :-) But before I do that, I want to ask
>the Tesla list if my speculation is correct.

Very possibly, It is hard to know since everyplace distributes power
differently depending on what the power company feels like.  There are many
possibilities.  I would can them and ask what it would take to bring three
phase power to your house.  Beware that the costs can be stunning!!  You
will need to rewire the main panel of your house for three phase.  They
also typically charge more for three phase service.  You will need a three
phase pole transformer probably... The costs added up fast and none of them
is small...

I would suggesting calling you power company first and seeing if it is
possible and something you can afford.  Then call an electrician about the
house wiring conversion.  Unfortunatly, this is the kind of stuff you can't
do yourself ("possibly" the house side, if local laws let you).

Be prepared for some stunning numbers when it comes to cost.  A friend of
mine had a chicken barn he wanted to bring three phase to from directly
across the street.  The cost was quoted at $150,000!!!  He moved the
chickens across the street instead. "Why did the chickens cross the road,
to save $150,000 to get three phase..." ;-)  There are rotary converters
and such that convert single to three phase (motor/generator).  They are
very cheap used and not to bad new.  Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2526540836&category=1267

This place seems to have a lot of these,  Maybe ask if they have a single
phase to three phase unit...

Just a three phase generator may be an option too.  Another idea is to find
someplace else that has three phase and just work there.

Don't tell nobody (power company / electricians) it is for a Tesla
coil.  They won't like that...  Say you need to run three phase scientific
equipment or some other common benign three phase use.

Cheers,

         Terry