Re: can coupling be too high

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

Yes, you can overcouple the sec. and cause it to reach the HV point before
the top of the coil.  Energy transfer works best at certain couplings
(Antonio has published a complete paper on this effect).  Usually 0.18 to
0.22 work good for standard classic TC circuits.  Other values such as 0.6
are generally used for magnifier type systems that operate best with tight
coupling and high break rates on the RSG.  Check and adjust your coeff. of
coupling (techniques described in the archives) for the best output at low
variac settings before applying full power.

Extra insulation is usually not required with classic design but is required
in some cases with magnifier designs.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.