Re: Newbie Questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jtf-at-dejazzd-dot-com>

Stephen Conner wrote:

 > Note: The BU208D is easy to get over here in Europe but might be
 > rare in the US.

I found some surplus horizontal output transistors rated for 1500V -at- 7Amps,
but they
will take a week to arrive.

 > My favourite one runs straight off the 120V line
 > ............ but could be a bit dangerous.

Using the 120Vac mains for power is off-limits for several reasons:
a.) As a newbie, I am trying to maintain some margin of safety.
b.) The end goal, is a HV/HF supply for a portable TIG welder. The arc
stabilizer must
run off a 12Vdc battery and not feed back into the diodes of the welder.

The next circuit will be based on a Velleman K8004 PWM kit. Easy control of
pulse
width and frequency, with current control.

Steve, your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

John