Re: Static gap BPS, was Static Spark Gap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/24/03 4:30:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>This seems consistent with my memory that at 2*Res (17.84-nF) I get a
>very very distinct 60-Hz machine-gun-fire sounding result from my static
>gap TC. I've always disliked that sound and avoided it, but it also seems
>to give nice long streamers. This seems consistent with the notion that
>the primary capacitor is consistently charging up with two full half
>cycles for a large bang size.

Hi Terry, All,

This is very hard for me to envision. Seems like at 2* res, the cap would
charge to V/2 on the first quarter cycle then discharge to zero on the
second quarter cycle and then, because of the reversed polarity, charge to
V/2 in the reverse direction, etc., giving zero BPS. It also seems that if
the bps is not a multiple of the supply frequency, you may get, say, 200
BPS, but they will not be uniformly spaced or of uniform duration. Am I
missing something?

Matt D.