Re: Static gap BPS, was Static Spark Gap

Hi Peter,

At 12:01 PM 4/24/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Terry,
>       I also see from your chart (NSTStudy.htm) that with the 12/60 NST an
>18-nF results in 120 BPS, and 26-nF results in 60 BPS. It seems to me
>that one of these would be "better" in that the chaotic behavior might
>deteriorate into a stable synchronous firing.

All the waveforms are, at least theoretically, repetitive but perhaps over
many cycles.

 From the other numbers on the charts, like 'real primary cap power', it
looks like the power to the coil drops quite a bit at 60 BPS.  I think the
problem is that with larger caps you can't charge them to full voltage.

>In my case I am using a 9-30 NST, so I see from your chart I can get 120 BPS
>with 12-nF, and 60 BPS with 17 or 18-nF. I'll try that at home tonight.

The power seems to drop from 107 to 89 watts.  But give it a try and see
for sure.

>This seems consistent with my memory that at 2*Res (17.84-nF) I get a
>very very distinct 60-Hz machine-gun-fire sounding result from my static
>gap TC. I've always disliked that sound and avoided it, but it also seems
>to give nice long streamers. This seems consistent with the notion that
>the primary capacitor is consistently charging up with two full half
>cycles for a large bang size.

It "might" be acting sort of like a sync gap LTR system there.  Gary Lau's
coil seems to do that.  Hard to say for sure since a small change can
affect things quite a bit.

>It seems from looking at your chart that 2*Res Cap value is pretty close
>to the 60 BPS value, is this consistent or a coincidence, and should this
>be the "recommended value" for static gap TCs.

Doubling the cap to go from 120 to 60 BPS makes sense to me.  I would think
the performance would be worse at 60 BPS though.  Try it and see...  The
dwell timing is very near zero there, so it may indeed jump to a sync LTR mode.

Cheers,

         Terry