Re: Static Spark Gap

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I've been following this thread, and something one of
the posters said is bugging me. Somebody mentioned
that the only way to get control over break rate is to
go to with a rotary. Am I to assume then, that an RSG
only fires ONCE on each presentation of the
electrodes? I think this is only true for a LTR system
using a SRSG. What about the case of a pole xfmer, PT,
or MOT bank feeding a smaller-than-resonant cap?
Compared to the speed of one fire/quench cycle, the
flying electrodes are really crawling along. In a good
quenching system (like a sucker gap in series with the
RSG) with sufficiently stiff charging current, we
could have multiple firings per electrode
presentation. Now the true break rate is an unknown
again, unless one has proper test equipment! Just
using an RSG doesn't really nail down the break rate,
does it? The thing could be firing in burst mode every
time the electrodes line up.

Cheers,

=====
Gregory R. Hunter