Re: Magnifier conversion update

Hi All,

Just an update on the magnifier conversion project.

Terry Wrote:

>They are from:
>
>www.mscdirect-dot-com
>
># PM09206012
>
>They have lots of other sizes to from the fine company called "import" :o))
>
>http://www.mscdirect-dot-com/PDF.process?pdf=1518
>
>$59.99  "was" a sale price.  They are normally about $87.  Not sure if the
>sale price is still good.  But the site just let me add it to my cart and
>says it is in stock and ready to ship.  So I guess the "PM" price still
>works ;-))  If one buys something from MSC, you should probably try
>putting "PM" in front of the part number first to see if they have a
>"promotional" price they are not telling you about ;-))
>
>So I can highly recommend these nice vises along with a tiny tube of
>Loktite.  Just be sure not to pay too much ;-))

Hahaaha!!  I DID pay too much!  This E-bay place sells these vises in the
$40 range :o)))

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2524402077

They also have those milling tables for a drill press someone mentioned for
$80.

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2524744302

I looked at the tuning sensitivity in MicroSim of L1, C1, L2, C2, L3, C3,
and k.  As I varied the values +-10%,  the output voltage varied about 2.5%
(4.5% max).  So the exact values of the components can easily vary a bit
without dramatically affecting performance.  A good thing since there are a
lot of parts and keeping everything "perfect" is pretty hard.  It appears
that loading from the streamers will not really de-tune such a coil much at
all which will further improve performance.

I have been mostly working on the C2 capacitor.  I used TurboCad to
basically lay it out:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0423-01.gif

I didn't do every small detail here, but these drafting programs are very
nice at basically setting dimensions and visualizing the whole thing.  You
can easily work out the sizes of stuff and keep from making any big
mistakes.  I don't worry to much about doing the tiny details or fancy 3-D
renderings and such since I will have the thing built in the time that
would take ;-)  I then used Excel the find all the measurements of the
notches to be cut with the band saw:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0423-02.gif

Excel also worked out the voltages, capacitances....

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0423-04.gif

I cut 1/4 thick Lexan in the table saw (needed straight cuts.  Usually
don't like to cut plastics in the table saw...).  Sort of tricky since
Lexan is pretty flexible and the blade liked to nip at it.  But if I held
it down hard it was ok.  Using the charts I then marked off all the slots
and bandsawed them:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0423-04.jpg

I have been gluing them up today with polyurethane glue Elmer's ProBond):

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0423-05.jpg

Masking tape easily holds the strips in place with the glue dries.  This
type of glue takes like 24 hours to dry and is yellowish, but it does not
smell and it is really strong and slightly flexible when dry.  I am using
it hoping the capacitor can survive a drop to the floor ;-))  This glue is
really runny, but I am starting to like it for more and more things.  Seems
to stick well to everything.  Washes off with soap and water until it
dries, then explosives are needed to remove it ;-))  It does not seem to go
bad sitting on a self either unlike super glues or silicones.  I guess
water makes it cure, so maybe a damp cloth over the thing will make it dry
faster ;-)

I also cut a little base out of 1/2 inch Lexan.  I found a 5 inch brass
sphere in the junk pile with a perfect hole already cut in it.  One of
those odd brass things from India...:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0423-06.jpg

It took a long time to polish up through all the corrosion but it turned
out perfect for this!  I also have the caps resistors and all ready to go
once the darn glue dries :-p  I can probably go ahead and solder the
resistors across the caps tonight.  I also need to put ground studs on the
bases and some corona ring work.

So it's getting there ;-))

Cheers,

         Terry

BTW - I really like those DeWalt 18V cordless drills too!!