Re: compact oil insulated secondaries?

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 08:06 23/04/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>
>
>Dear List,
>I am considering building an oil filled secondary
>to improve durability and increase compactness in a small TC in which I am
>currently using a secondary of 880t of 32swg enamelled copper wire wound
>on a former measuring 10.875" long x 2.98 diameter.
>
>My reason for doing this is because I am planning to double the number of
>turns by winding a new secondary using 40swg wire on the same former
>and there may be insulation issues to be considered here.

If it helps: I built the Mini OLTC secondary with 40swg wire. It was pretty
sloppily wound with even a few crossovers in places. I covered the whole
secondary with insulating varnish that I bought from Radiospares. I think
it's the same stuff as what they call Glyptal in the US. The Mini OLTC
cranks out about 200kV, has produced 13" sparks from its 4.5" by 9"
secondary (about 1500 turns) and there have been no problems. Of course
that doesn't mean that it won't burn through eventually.

http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/t3135.html

Steve C.