Re: MOTs/MMC

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

Hi Jerry
Yes there is a way (probably several in fact)

A stack with centre gnd and 3 per side phased 180deg apart will do it.
Oil for at least the outer 4 MOT's.

I'd recommend setting up phasing with a low voltage AC source.

I remove the heater windings to reduce clutter.

Lift the secondary winding where it is earthed to the core and feed the
previous MOT secondary outer into this point. Care to stabalise this spot
with hot glue or the like.

I always earth the core but some have suggested leaving it floating to
spread the voltage stress out between the core to primary and corre to
secondary gap. My reason is to place an earth barrier between the mains and
HT side for safety. I do not want a stray streamer to secondary strike to be
able to get back into the mains.

I've not had any problems with 6MOT's breaking down to core in this config.
In some operational mode I believe Iv'e pushed the potential up to at least
25kV without breaking down the MOT (caps banged however) Did this with poor
choice of SRSG firing times with 300bps operation

Interested in your secondary Capacitive ballast. Would appreciate a post on
the value of C you will use. I have this thing about the possibility of 60Hz
resonance with the output inductance of the MOT stack and would like to see
what people are doing and do a few sums on things
Tnx

Good luck and BTW MOT's are leathal great care
Best
Ted L in NZ

 > Original poster: "JERRY ASHLEY by way of Terry > Is there any 'best way'
to wire six MOTs in series to get approx. 12