Re: Electrical Properties of Aluminum and Network Analzyer was : RE: Brass

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
 >
 > Hi Dan,
 >
 > At 10:48 PM 4/20/2003 -0400, you wrote:
 >
 > >Terry,
 > >
 > >That test is severely flawed:
 > >First, we already know that for the same cross-sectional area, aluminum has
 > >a higher resisitivity per unit length than copper.  No need to use
 > >a network analyzer for this.
 > >Secondly, a network analyzer is not going to tell you squat about how an
 > >oxidized coil performs under high rf current conditions like those
occurring
 > >in a
 > >tesla coil.

	A fairly easy way to verify this opinion would be to run two different
primaries made  with aluminum and copper conductors of the same
dimensions would be to place the primary coils in a tank of oil, run
them for equal times (a few minutes), and measure the temperature rise
of the oil. This will give as relative measure of the amount of energy
dissipated, which is as always "i^2 R".

	An easier way to do it would be to run the two primaries in open air
for the same period of time and put a finger on them.

	I don't have the energy or ambition to try this, but would suggest that
those who are really interested give it a try.

Ed