Re: Electrical Properties of Aluminum and Network Analzyer was : RE: Brass

Hi Ed,

At 04:03 PM 4/21/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>         A fairly easy way to verify this opinion would be to run two
> different
>primaries made  with aluminum and copper conductors of the same
>dimensions would be to place the primary coils in a tank of oil, run
>them for equal times (a few minutes), and measure the temperature rise
>of the oil. This will give as relative measure of the amount of energy
>dissipated, which is as always "i^2 R".
>
>         An easier way to do it would be to run the two primaries in open air
>for the same period of time and put a finger on them.
>
>         I don't have the energy or ambition to try this, but would
> suggest that
>those who are really interested give it a try.
>
>Ed

Radio Shack sells like 10 gage aluminum ground wire for TV antennas.  Bare
copper wire of the same gage is common.  Just making a coil of each and run
them in a high RMS current primary circuit (secondary system not needed)
would do it.  I have too many things going on at the moment, but maybe
someone else ;-))

Cheers,

         Terry