Re: Magnifier conversion

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>

 > Lots going on this weekend but I did manage to build the primary coil.
 >
 > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0420-01.jpg

A magnific construction. I hope that it works well.

I have been working in my magnifier too.
I have the driver built (not a beautiful as yours):
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mag345d.jpg
Primary: flat, 13 turns, diameters 8 cm and 13 cm, #18 wire.
Secondary: solenoid, 176 turns, diameter 7.4 cm, height 10.2 cm.
L1=53 mH, L2=3.95 mH, k=0.35 (calculated).
The connections are:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mag345t.jpg
The small Leyden jar for C2 worked well in low-power tests. I am
still thinking in what kind of C2 I will use. The calculated value
is 69 pF. Experimentally, I measure that I need 45 pF. The
other 24 pF the structure already have. Medhurst's capacitances
for L2 and L3 (I assume that it's valid to consider this
capacitance when looking at L3 from the bottom) are 7.1 pF
and 5.6 pF. This leaves 11.3 pF for the interconnections.
I didn't measure the inductances yet, but the system worked
as expected, showing voltage waveforms corresponding closely to the
designed mode 3:4:5:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mag345v1.jpg
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mag345v2.jpg
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mag345v3.jpg
The energy is being transferred in 6.15 us, in 2 cycles, as designed.
A problem is that I mixed turns with spacing between turns and ended
with one turn less in the primary, that should have 14 turns...
The system can still be tuned in this way, but with the minimum
capacitance that my variable top load can generate (C3=8.5 pF). At
least,
the output voltage will be the maximum that I can obtain.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz