Re: Magnifier primary

Hi Scott,

At 09:25 PM 4/20/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Terry -
>
>Magnificent workmanship on the primary! Who's got the milling machine? Or
>was the Lexan support structure built with "hand" tools?

What is a "hand tool"?? :o))  Milling machine, drill press, band saw, belt
sander, 12in caliper, shop vac...

>Can you provide some information on the spherical plastic "feet" used under
>the baseplate? I couldn't find anything similar in my older McMaster-Carr
>catalog.

www.mcmaster-dot-com

Search for "plastic balls".  They have all kinds.  I taped them 1/4-20 and
used 1/4-20 nylon bolts from McMaster too.  These were # 1974K24.

Terry Blake Wrote:

>Hi Terry,
>
>Geez, you do good work.  That is a great looking primary.

Thanks :-)

>Is it also Lexan?  What is your experiance with machining it?
>I thought that it was very hard to work with.  Shattered and cracked and
>stuff.

I think you had evil plexiglass there.  It shatters, fractures,
cracks...  Lexan is far softer and very easy to work.  It does not like
heat though, so you have to cut and drill it slow.  It machines great.

>Is this more handiwork of that new milling machine you mentioned?  Sherline
>machines.

Yes I used the little Sherline for this:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/sherline/MeanLooking.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/sherline/
www.sherline-dot-com

>Can you tell us more about it?  Model #.  Options.  Bits.

Model# 5400
Options -  All of them :o))  But I do have a big 4 inch "real" mill vice,
turntable, and DRO (Digital Read Out) now.
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0413-11.jpg

Bits - Just the plain usual 1/4, 3/8... mill cutters.  High speed steel
seems to cut plastic very well.  I normally always get TiN coated cobalt
types though since I never know what I will have to cut and they don't get
dull.

>Like how about that funny rotating part on the base?  Never saw one like
>that before.

The is a turntable that will rotate a part mounted on it very accurately
(0.05 degrees).  I was using it here to spin the plastic under the cutter
in a circle.

>Terry Blake
>Thinking about more coiling in Chicago, but may need a milling machine.

The little Sherline is great.  It is small enough to live happily on a desk
next the stereo, TV, computers...

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0421-01.jpg

No need to go outside to mill things (even if it is warm now).  Just always
there ready to go.  Be warned that it is not a cheap business!  The base
machine will some extra toys was $850, turntable $200, DRO $350, bits ~$200
so far....  That is before the $500 of calipers, parallels, dial
gauges...  But I use it all the time for everything!  Extremely useful to
have!!!!  Get a real good shop vac ;-)))  McMaster-Carr will deliver
everything you need to your door and their site is super good for finding
stuff...   You also may want a safe that only your wife knows the
combination too to lock your credit card in... :o))))

Cheers,

         Terry